In 2005, for 6 months I worked as a mountain bike guide. Each day I would make the following speech to guests:
- Hi my name is Andrew Welch.
- I am the mountain bike guide here.
- I will be doing a harder ride in the morning at 7.30 am and an easy ride in the afternoon at 5pm.
- I will also take a guided ride at 2.30 pm if needed.
- Please sign up for the rides by putting your name on the boards.
- You can go freeriding any time taking out the bikes and exploring, we provide all the kit- helmets, gloves, water bottle and a freeride pack with spares and tools.
- You must be in at least a group of two and back by 5pm.
- You must wear trainers whilst riding.
- Any particular wishes or questions please ask me.
- The riding here is great and the scenery is fantastic so youre onto a winner.
- The bike shed is up the stairs and through the door to your right.
- Thank you
These simple instructions form the basis of the guided ride in terms of safety and expectations. It was important to prep the group about what the experience would be like to give a sense of direction to proceedings and to ultimately allow people to choose if it was something they wanted to do.