This website is written by Andrew Welch, started around 2005. Kept as a way to write, reflect and share, at first, travel experiences.
Visit the following links to get started depending on what you are most interested in:
Join the newsletter and check out other links I recommend.
Travel has been a big part of my experience hence I have written plenty about it. After I cycled with some mates across the Highlands of Scotland in 2006, I decided to write up a journal of the trip which ended up being around 40,000 words. This sparked a love for adventure and journal writing. From 2007 I went on a bike tour across Eurasia keeping a blog, shooting film footage and images. The process of documenting whilst travelling created a huge amount of content resulting an interest in digital media, editing and productivity. My bike travels lead me to Tbilisi, Georgia where I met some mountain bikers and we set up a community and tour operator called Georiders in 2009 (no longer operating). From 2010 I studied a Masters in Design from Goldsmiths in London and from 2014 was involved in an artist residency in Spain as an artist and technical coordinator. At present I work as a developer and designer for a range of clients. IT, computing and the Internet have long fascinated me and been my main source of income.
- Live an ethical, healthy lifestyle
- Hack the system
- Share knowledge
"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Socrates.
I've written a series of books about my travel experiences
- Weave of the Ride - A Book About Cycle Touring Across Europe
- Between Worlds - A book about Cycle Touring in Asia
- Bajada - Hiking Watercourses
- Open Wilderness Guiding Book
- Prepare, Pack, Pedal - A Practical Guide to Cycle Touring
Creative / work
Some pages about my philosophical interests, photographical experience and work.
- What Defines a Life Well Lived?
- How Can Travel be Defined?
- Doors, Keys, Dreams, Cities
- Notes from Reading Simulation and Simulacra by Jean Baudrillard
- Notes from Reading PostCapitalism: A Guide to Our Future by Paul Mason
- 10 Ways to Politicise Your Travel Experience
- Should I Work for Free?
- Adventure Misunderstood
- Zizek Playlist on Youtube
- Tips for Beginning the Writing Process to Avoid Writer's Block
- How I Created A Writing Manifesto to Get My Writing Process in Shape
- Why Write a Book About a Defining Time in Life and Why You Should Too
- 10 Thing I Learnt From Writing A Book So You Can Write Your Own
- A Writing Manifesto to Keep the Words Flowing
Business / Finance:
- How to Find a Memorable Name for a Business or Product
- Beginner Investment Hacking For Improved Personal Financial Strategy And Awareness
- Networking, Mountain Biking And Tilling The Ground