I like to explore:
Ideas, places - near, far.
- Adventure cycle tours across Asia and Mongolia
- Other journeys
- City exploring
- Mountain biking tourism in Georgia
- Making a living
- Gear Reviews
This website is ran by Andrew Welch, started around 2005.
Writing and reflecting is part of my way of doing things.
"The examined life is not worth living" - Socrates.
Travelling has been a big part of my experience hence I have written plenty about it. After cycling across the Highlands of Scotland in 2006, I decided to write up a journal of the trip which ended up being around 40,000 words. Then from 2007 onwards I went on a bike tour across Eurasia keeping a blog, shooting film footage and images. The process of documenting whilst travelling has created a huge amount of content resulting in an ongoing editing process and required a system to process it all. Hence I also became interested in processes of digital media and systems of 'productivity'.
My bike travels lead me at some point to Tbilisi, Georgia. There I met some mountain bikers and we set up a community and tour operator called Georiders in 2009. I've studied a Masters in Design from Goldsmiths in London, been involved in an artist residency in Spain as an artist and technical coordinator, back and forth to Georgia mountain biking and worked as contract developer and designer.
- Live an ethical, healthy lifestyle
- Hack the system
- Share knowledge
Advice for Going Cycle Touring
- Prepare Pack Pedal: A Practice Guide to Bicycle Touring on Github
- Most Common Questions Asked About Going Cycle Touring from Weave of The Ride
- 10 Benefits of Cycle Touring In Europe to Inspire Your Trip
- What Kit Do You Need To Go Adventure Cycling?
- Bicycle Touring - A reliable set up
- Get Prepare, Pack, Pedal Book and Plan Your Bicycle Touring Adventure Effectively
- Interview with Tim Moss Will Inspire your Adventures
- 10 Reasons to Inspire you to Go Bicycle Touring in Europe
- How to Build the Perfect Expedition Bike so You Have a Tech Hassle Free Bike Tour
- Tips For Preparing a Cycle Tour to Ensure an Amazing Trip
- Tips for Travelling With Your Bike By Bus in Europe Stress Free
- What Kit Do You Need To Go Adventure Cycling?
- Guest Post: Leon McCarron - From New York to Hong Kong collecting people's stories - on travelling alone
Cycle Touring Gear Reviews
- 5 of the Best Multifuel Stoves for Cycle Touring to Keep You Well Fed On the Road
- Is The Brooks Champion Flyer Leather Saddle Ideal for Adventure Cycling?
- How Are Magura Louise Disk Brakes For Stopping a Loaded Touring Bike?
- Magura Odur Suspension Forks Adventure Cycling Long Term Review
- Chris King Headset Long Term Adventure Cycling Kit Review
- On-One Inbred Frame Review - My Thoughts on this Classic Steel Frame
- Find out if the Kona Explosif Steel Mountain Bike Frame is Suitable for Adventure Cycling
- Find out How the Middleburn 32T Hardcoat Chainring Stood Up To Long Term Use
- Which Tyres? Schwalbe Marathon XR Tyres Review
- Sun Rhynolyte Wheel Rims Long Term Adventure Cycling Review
- Crosso Dry 60 Adventure Bicycle Touring Pannier Review
- Carradice Super C Bicycle Touring Panniers to Keep Your Kit Safe and Dry
- Extrawheel Single Wheel Trailer to Carry Your Gear Safely and Conveniently
- Discover How the Oakley Radar Cycling Sunglasses Stood Up To A 3 Year Adventure Tour
- Craghoppers Classic Kiwi Trousers - Live in Trousers for Your Bicycle Travels
- Are 1000 Mile Marfil Road Cycling Socks a Good Choice for Adventure Cycling?
- Are Shimano MT91 Boots A Good Choice for Adventure Riding?
- Get Your Layering Right - Helly Hansen Base Layer Review
- What is a Buff and Why is it The Most Useful Piece of Travel Kit You Will Take?
- Find Out if the Vaude Hogan Ultralight Argon is the Best Tent for Adventure Cycling
Mountain Biking Gear
- Gear Review: Merrell Trail Glove 2 Zero Drop Barefoot Running Shoes
- Running in Vibram Fivefinger Treksport - Long Term Review
- Footwear for Travelling and Multiple Activities - Long Term Research
Cycling Across Europe
- Weddings, unlike lightning, strike in the same place twice...
- Roaming around in Romania
- Getting Romania in View
- Looking East and West in Istanbul
- Cycling the Black Sea Coastline of Turkey in the Dark
- Cold Nights and Notes from Sinop
- How I Ending Up Staying on the Turkish National Skin-Diving Instructor's Fishing Boat
- Why Was Tbilisi Such a Beautiful City in Deep Winter?
- Will I Get My Bicycle Back From War-Torn Georgia?
- When War Comes Too Close for Comfort
- Overwhelmed with Wonder in Armenia and Iran
- Path, direction and large floating triangles of rock
- Mesmerising Landscapes and Tragic History of Bam
- How not to get an Iran visa twice But Why You Should Still Try
- Layers of History and Breathtaking Architecture In Iran
- Dealing with Air Pollution and Cultural Habits Whilst Travelling
- Is Pakistan a Step Too Far for A European Tourist?
- A Route Through India and Why Not to Use A Guidebook
- You Should Go To India Just for the Golden Temple
- Getting a Massage With A Vibrating Dolphin in an Indian Temple
- Gujarati Thali is a Metaphor for Indian Culture
- 8 Days in an Ashram in India Changed my Life
- 12 Months Lost Travel Photos Induced Nihilism
- Doing Self Enquiry in Bombay to Get Present
- Donating a bike on behalf of Wheels4Life to Help a Nun Get to Work
- Arriving to Varanasi on India Day in Thick Fog Eating Jelebi
- Donating a bike to a Nun So She Can Cycle To Work Each Day
- Holi is India's Most Amazing Festival Experience and It Should Be On Your List
- A couple of Morons go off the beaten track
- Soviet Mattress Suspension and Ulaan Baatar
- Frozen Lakes, Mosquito infested bogs, and riding down rivers
- What Defines a Life Well Lived?
- How Can Travel be Defined?
- Doors, Keys, Dreams, Cities
- Notes from Reading Simulation and Simulacra by Jean Baudrillard
- Notes from Reading PostCapitalism: A Guide to Our Future by Paul Mason
- 10 Ways to Politicise Your Travel Experience
- Should I Work for Free?
- Adventure Misunderstood
- Zizek Playlist on Youtube
- Tips for Beginning the Writing Process to Avoid Writer's Block
- How I Created A Writing Manifesto to Get My Writing Process in Shape
- Why Write a Book About a Defining Time in Life and Why You Should Too
- 10 Thing I Learnt From Writing A Book So You Can Write Your Own
- A Writing Manifesto to Keep the Words Flowing
Business / Finance:
- How to Find a Memorable Name for a Business or Product
- Beginner Investment Hacking For Improved Personal Financial Strategy And Awareness
- Networking, Mountain Biking And Tilling The Ground