A cold dark beach somewhere on Black Sea coastline of Turkey.
There was small driftwood everywhere in one area, a guy fiddling with netting. It was flipping cold i remember that much.
1. Find one very rusty barrel and punch holes in it with a stick.
2. Collect kindling and driftwood from the beach and add to the barrel.
3. Attempt to light the kindling whilst shading from the wind.
4. Build up the fire into a blazing inferno.
5. Sit beside it and profit from the warmth whilst cooking dumplings on the top in a saucepan.
We cooked something in the wok on the stove. I think we cooked those dried pasta dumpling things that were a bit like small Khinkhalis. We made too many holes in the stove though and it wasn’t actually very warm.
6. Make camp next to the fire and try to benefit from the warmth whilst dropping off
You know I think we made a balls up that time by using the bivvy bags because they probably made our sleeping bags much less effective because the filling wouldn’t have as much trapped air in it. Would have been better inside the tent without the bivvy bags, anyway you live and learn.
Photography and quotes by Tom Allen.