Tested on a multi-day hike in Spain carrying enough food and water for 3 days. The pack was my choice after doing of plenty of online and in-shop research, looking at different options from brands such as Deutar and Berghaus.
- 70 L capacity
- Removable top compartment
- Frame can be removed and be replaced
- Walking pole attachment
- Access to the bag from the bottom and top
- AirScape backpanel with foam ridges for ventilation, sternum strap with emergency whistle
- Stretch mesh side pockets with InsideOut compression, top lid access
- Twin zippered hip belt pockets, twin ice axe loops
- Pre-curved IsoForm CM moldable hipbelt, removable top lid, converts into lumbar pack
- Integrated & detachable raincover, weight : 2.29 (M) kg, maximum dimensions : (cm) 90 (l) x 36 (w) x 35 (d)
- Dimensions: 33" x 17" x 15"
- Empty Weight: 2.39 Kilograms
- Volume: 4272 cubic inches (70L)
- Torso Fit Range: 18-20.5" (46-52 cm)
- Hip Belt Fit Range: 30-34" (76-86.5 cm)
How Osprey Describes the Pack (from the manual)
The Aether 70 is a top loading, men’s lightweight custom fit backpack designed specifically for backpacking trips and mountaineering expeditions.
As the #1 choice for all sorts of mountaineers, the Osprey Aether 70 Backpack is a proven contender. This pack has an improved suspension system, a harness that uses your body heat to mold around your shape, and plenty of space to carry all of your gear. The Aether 70 has two different strap systems for compressing the pack’s contents, giving you a secure and comfortable way to carry everything you need.
- Comfortable: The molding hip belt offers excellent comfort.
- Rigid: The pack’s frame offers a good balance of strength and rigidity.
- Good airflow: The pack’s AirScape back mesh does work well especially as it is quite minimal.
- Lightweight for the size: Some say the pack is heavy compared to competitors, but considering the features, I found the materials to be quite lightweight. A more compromisng set of features could reduce the weight.
- Chunky clips and buckles: These are well made, strong and didn’t let me down.
- Material durability: (wore a hole through in flight transit).
I would recommend this bag for any multi day backpacking. As a bonus the brand also offers a repair warranty. When transiting the bag on a flight put it in a protective cover.
There is a newer model of the pack now. But you might still find one on eBay