10 Ways to Make a Protest More Effective
This is an extract from a notebook I had whilst I was studying at Goldsmiths in 2011. I was doing a project on how to make a political protest materially more effective.
- More Noise - Instruments, drums, speaker systems.
- More material objects - e.g. bikes. Make the body of protesters is less flexible and more difficult to ‘kettle’.
- More information sharing through encrypted message channels.
- Easier ways to tell where and when things are happening - signs, encrypted messaging.
- Methods of connecting people together - rope, chains, buttons, velcro.
- Things that create bulk like inflatables, large models of animals, hay-bails etc.
- Shields and learning to do the roman tortoise formation.
- No pop music.
- Masks and other ways of concealing identity.
- Protective armour and arm extensions.