YETI ODI Lock-on Mountain Bike Grips Review
Grips are an oft overlooked but important part of a bike set up; one of the main contact points on a bike. Some of the body weight is distributed onto the hands, palms and wrists - more if pedalling out of the saddle. The grips have an affect on the amount of control over the bike.
There are many grip designs available - they can be separated into old school round, tube grips and anatomical moulded grips that are meant to provide more support at pressure point hotspots.
ODI create grips for a range of sports from MX to MTB. They claim to be the first to offer a ‘lock on’ grip, which means at each end of the grip tube there is an aluminium ring that is tightened to fix the grip onto the handlebars.
- Large raised Yeti logo and smaller angled logos pattern
- Lock-On Grip
- Snap Cap End Plugs
- Available in a range of colours
- Laser etching optional extra
What ODI Say:
The legend of Yeti continues with the Yeti Lock-On Grip designed to provide equal parts comfort and control.
How I Used them
I used these grips for cycle touring and mountain biking. I was lucky to be provided with a number of free pairs by ODI for testing.
- Easy to fit and remove
- Don’t slip
- Comfortable grip
- Soft but durable rubber
- Easy to turn around once one area wears out
- Look great
- Simple but effective design
- Long standing design
- Aluminium ring and end caps protect your handlebars
- Sometime found myself leaning on the aluminium ring
- When hot transferred black rubber onto your hands / gloves
- Expensive for grips
Grips are important. I would recommend trying a few different styles and change them if you start having discomfort. The ODI Yeti grip was durable and comfortable, but it really comes down to your preference and comfort.